Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Daily Dose of Google

I was talking with a friend this afternoon and we were discussing the different products that Google recently announced like the Google Website Optimizer, Google Notebook, Gmail being open for sign-ups etc. and he asked me, "How much of Google do you use in a day?"

I said, "A lot."

I use Google products a lot because it is very convenient and easy to use. And besides, it's easier to speak about things when you are a user yourself. Well, I promised my friend I'll post about how much I use Google products in a day, so here it is.

The first thing I do when I wake up is turn my PC on and the first thing that greets me are messages from Twitter from my Google Talk window and while that's ongoing a little window pops up and appraises me about new mail I got on my Gmail. And then, of course, I check my mail, click on the Google Reader link to check up on new feeds from blogs I regularly read.

After I finish reading my mail I click on the "all my services" link in my Gmail account and then click on Blogger to moderate comments I received for my blogs. I may blog or I may not, depending on my free time or if my muse is around and depends on whether I have updates for my personal, work, wedding, or ghost blog. Or I may decide to upload some photos in my Picasa account. And I also use Google Blog Search to check out stuff I'm interested in.

I then sometimes tinker on my Google Adwords account and practice on making text ads and check on statistics in the Google Analytics tab. It's really so cool to have information about blogs/websites you maintain and Google Analytics is one of my favorite Google products. But, it's been a while since I checked on my Google Adsense account.

I used Google search a lot when I was going through graduate school. I still do and I wish I knew about the Google cheatsheet back then, well anyway I still search on Google a lot of times in a day. I've also personalized my own Google page to show news and other stuff that's important to me (including Pacman!). I've been using Google Notebook a lot to clip interesting websites and blogs, and I find it really useful since I can put little comments about the website easily.

And, of course, I try to get in touch with my brother and sister who are abroad regularly by sending them email updates about what's happening back home. I created a family Googlegroup more than a year ago and that's how we communicate with the whole clan. And badminton announcements and other plans are announced by my friends in our Googlegroups as well.

I'm now brushing up on Google Apps for Your Domain - planning to use it for our family as well.

Whew! It seems quite overwhelming to be using so many different products, but it's become second nature. I'm not as techie as my tech blogger or programmer friends, but I like trying out new things and that's how I learned how to use all these products and it's made me a whole lot more productive :)

3 comments:

  1. me again , I am the JUSMAG guy who wants to save the world, .... GHG and GWOT any way.... I have a project I think you can help me with, and you should be very interested in... it will help Google a lot ... not just here but around the world... we all can help fight climate crisis ... ie 170 PPM ...
    it involves the AFP that is the armed forces of the the Phil
    WWF http://www.wwf.org.ph/main.php- world wild life fund,
    a company called IRG http://www.irg-p.com.ph/and a reforesting company called Fieldwayintrenationalhttp://www.fieldwayinternational.com/ I will include all links so you can see what they are up to...

    what I want to do is use the free Google software - mash it up into a usable tracking system ...web service if you will ... for tree planting and sales...world wide a free service that will make selling and monitoring trees easy ... especially Jatropha ... IMHO the savior of the PHIL economy... thru energy independence...
    Let get together ... you have my cell info, and my email address.. ghil777@gmail.com when can we talk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @drgimo777 - Hi, Kindly send your proposal to my email. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:53 PM

    I use Gtalk , Gmail and Google Reader the first thing I do when I fire up my macbook.

    Then Google adsense gives me a good amount of income. I stopped with Adwords because I was getting more from search engine queries. I configured Google Calendar to give me alerts in my cellphone and email. Hmm what else?

    I use google analytics to optimize my sites and see how I can improve its earning potential. I still have to try the other Google Services. I have a google group for my webhosting customers where I can give announcements.

    ReplyDelete